The 2018 OneWorld @ MIT celebration
This year’s One World @ MIT event focused on sustainability. Attendees were invited to visit one—or all—of the four dance party locations on campus, each one featuring a sustainability theme (Oceans; Energy; Atmosphere; and Earth + Community). Additionally, the Sustainable World Lounge on Kresge Lawn provided a location for guests to relax and explore the ways MIT community members are working to create a more sustainable future.
One Sustainable World was a evening of food, music, dance, fun, and exploration.
One Sustainable World event principles
- Engage and empower members of the MIT community to commit to making lasting choices that advance the well-being and resilience of people and the environment.
- Educate attendees about the ways in which MIT people, research, and current initiatives are creating a more sustainable future.
May 12 event details and schedule
Atmosphere | Kresge Oval
- Special appearances: Sakata Afrique (9 pm) and MIT Tango (10 pm)
- The Houston Bernard Country Band
- DJ playing Reggae, Afrobeats, + Bollywood
Oceans | Johnson Athletics Center Ice Rink
- 9 pm: The Cooper Williams Band
- 9:50 pm: Special appearance by Mocha Moves
- Soul + R&B by Roomful of Blues
- DJ fuses KPop, Hip Hop, Kwaito, Highlife, + Assiko
Energy | Rockwell Cage
- Mega DJ show in the Campus Night Club
Earth + Community | Killian Court
- 9 pm: Special appearance by MIT Mirchi and MIT Bhangra
- The Jamal Sinno Arabic Ensemble (playing folk + contemporary)
- Latin sounds of Old Havana by the Beantown Social Club
Sustainable World Lounge | Kresge Lawn
A special tent housing a lounge with low lighting, comfortable seating, and tasty desserts. A quiet oasis in the midst of the lively dance tents, it will be a great place to meet up with friends and peruse and engage with people- and environment-focused content from MIT’s researchers, labs, and centers.
Try your hand at an energy-use card game with the GSC Sustainability Subcommittee, goggle at the EAPS iGlobe displaying Earth data, check out CSAIL’s autonomous Prius, and spin the Greenhouse Gamble roulette wheels with the Joint Program on the Science & Policy of Global Change…plus more!
- Present MIT or Lincoln ID for wristband to enter the venues
- Wristband stations (opening 8 pm) at Killian, Memorial Lobby (Building 10), and Ice Rink
- 1 guest per MIT ID (ID holder +1)